As the crew of The Tardigrade prepare to land on Venus, Matthew heads back down to Earth to get some supplies.
Whilst back on the home planet, he pays a visit to St. Andrews Observatory to have a look at the James Gregory Telescope – the biggest telescope in Scotland.
The custodian of this fine piece of equipment is Dr. Aleks Scholz, an observational astronomer who studies problems in star and planet formation.
This was a good opportunity for us all to learn something new, so Aleks is going to talk us through the life cycle of a star.
Things to Learn
- How do stars from?
- Why does size matter when it comes to star formation?
- How do stars die?
- What determines the ultimate fate of a star?
- What causes stars to explode?
- How will our own sun die?
- What impact will the sun dying have on the planets in our solar system?
- If Aleks could visit anywhere in the universe, where would he go?